Second Pick Determines Entire Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by johnnysd, Apr 26, 2015.

1. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

It seems more than 90% likely that Tampa Bay takes Winston.

What makes this years draft so interesting is that it is almost impossible to predict because of the uncertainty around the second pick. What happens there has a huge ripple effect throughout the entire draft.

Scenarios:

1. Popular one now is Pick #2 is traded. Who are the potential suitors? I would say they are San Diego, Philadelphia, Chicago and the Jets.

If San Diego, part of the deal would be Rivers. However I think that it would become super hard for this trade to happen because of the valuation of Rivers. San Diego probably thinks he is worth two number ones at least so would be looking for 2 and another pick. Tennessee because of Rivers age, diminishing arm strength, and his just less than elite status, probably views him as a middle round 1st or maybe even lower since he has just one year left on his contract. I would say the San Diego trade does not happen as they cannot bridge that value difference

Philadelphia is well known to truly covet Mariota. Kelly, Commandant of all things Eagle, has said he would not mortgage the future to get Mariota, but he might be able to get there without doing that. He has Bradford now which no one thinks is a good fit, and the Eagles have not made any Bradford gear. We know that Cleveland wanted Bradford and offered a first. Sirius had a rumor of Bradford to Cleveland for 19, then 19, 20 and two players to Tenn for #2. There are supposed to be 16 true #1s, so not sure Tenn makes this trade. Philly probably needs to get #12 somehow from Cleveland or be willing to add a first or second. Seems like Philly might be a little light in being able to get there unless they really deal future picks which they seems to not want to do.

Chicago has Cutler and a Top 10 pick. Wiz does like veteran guys and probably wants to capture Warner-like lightning in a bottle again. If he wants Cutler and his contract, would not take a huge amount from Chicago to get it done, likely something like Cutler, #8 and their second. Very real possibility if Tenn is one of the few teams that actually wants Cutler.

Jets The Jets are likely in the best spot to trade for #2 if they desire. They have shown maybe the most interest of any team in the NFL in Mariota, having done the combine, pro day and private work outs in Oregon and at the Jets facility. The Jets also have a lot of ammunition to get there if they want. First Tenn would only go to 6. Plus, they have been cagey about Mo. Mo and 6 likely gets it done. Otherwise it might be something like three pics maybe 1st and third this year and #1 next year. Dee Milliner could have some value as well. Big price, but if they are convinced that he is their guy they might do it.

End of the day though, I think the media is wrong and no one trades with 2.

2. Tennessee takes Mariota. Possible, but Mariota not really a great fit for their offense and they do love Mettenburger it seems.

3. They draft someone else. I think this is most likely at this point.

But the point is that the draft is completely different depending on what happens at 2.

In Scenario 1 and 2 the top 6 are probably something like Winston, Mariota, Williams. Cooper, Fowler, Jets pick. Jets could go in many ways. Trade down to Atlanta so they can take Beasley. Trade down to Giants or Rams spot for White. Take Beasley, White or even Gurley if he is rated as high as rumored by Jets.

In scenario 3, all bets are off. If no trade and Tenn picks they could take several players. Cooper (for Mettenburger they just bet the future on), Williams and Fowler are all in play.

If they pass on Mariota, he likely slides to at least Washington as Jax and Raiders are set at QB, and teams other than Jets have less attractive trade offerings for them. Possibly Raiders and Philly but unlikely, think top receiver will be too alluring to them. However, if the Jets really want him, they might trade with Jax or OAK to avoid any issues with Washington. Do think the Jets sweat out the 2nd pick if they are focused on him regardless.

If he is there at Washington, Jets trading to 5 seems likely. Might cost only a 3rd next year to get it done, and Washington still gets their guy, unless Gruden has convinced Snyder that they need to move away from RG3 and Cousins and draft Mariota.

Regardless, it will be an interesting draft and it all hinges on that second pick. It will be a lot more exciting if Tenn chooses someone other than Mariota. Only 4 days!

Axel3419 and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Absolutely the second pick will determine everything, even if the Bucs surprise people and pick Mariota it still ramps up some interesting scenarios for people trading up for Winston or him falling to us. It's hard to separate how much we hear about the love of Mariota is real and how much is just media hype. If it's media hype it's entirely possible he falls to us at 6th with no trading required but I do believe that he will be the second pick, it's just a matter of who is doing the picking. Personally I hope it isn't us, I don't want to give up the cost to go and get him. If he was available at our pick and nobody was giving us an insane haul to trade down then I would pick him.

Only a few days to find out but I'm pretty certain we're going to hear a trade has been made and then we'll all be holding our breath to see who it is. I just hope they don't say it's the Jets or that if it is the price isn't insane.

3. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

That split second when the little bells go off and the Titans logo is changing on the screen behind Goodell is gonna feel like minutes.

NCJetsfan and deerow84 like this.
  4. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

Im convinced mariota goes #2.

Just not sure who will be selecting him

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Yes, Mariota will go 2..even if it's the Titans who take him.

6. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

You are right! The 2nd pick will certainly decide what the Jets do.

I just wonder if the Jags become the team to watch for a trade back scenario.

Titans have a lot of holes and to be able to convince Dick LeBeau to come coach the D you know they will get him a stud to work with!

I would love it if they feel like Mett is their guy and instead of benching him they get him a new toy!

So to please LeBeau and Mett there is no better team to trade with!

Ten: Wilkerson + 6th overall (Cooper/White)
    NY: 2nd overall + 2nd round pick 2016 (Mo resigns with them)

Walt White likes this.
  7. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Trade Mo + 6 for 2...no thanks

Maybe Mo for #2 and we grab Leonard Williams if possible along with Mariota but nah not trading Mo

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It is absolutely worth whatever the cost to trade up for a potential franchise QB. Sure, it's a risk, but we know that we're going nowhere with Geno and Fitz. It's also just as big a risk, and probably a bigger risk to wait and hope that there will be a QB in the next draft or two that will be as good a prospect as Mariota and that we will be in some position to draft him.

All of you guys who are saying that you hope the Jets don't trade up for Mariota or don't take him if he's there at 6. If you get your way, I hope that you're happy in 3 years when Bowles and Mac are fired because they didn't get us a QB and the Jets are still floundering around in mediocrity. You'll deserve what you get.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. RichardCaster

RichardCaster Active Member

Agreed. If you think Mariotta ( or Winston for that matter) is a franchise QB, you have to do what you can to get one of them. Hopefully, you won't be this close to top of draft in next few years.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. Big Cat

I think it's worth a lot but not your best player and your top 6 pick (someone suggested Wilk + 6 for 2). My limit for moving up to number 2 is somewhere around #6, 2016 #1, 2015 #3. If they ask for the 2017 #1 I'd hang up the phone.

11. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I'm starting to get the suspicion that Mariotta is going to be there at 6 for us. That all the hype for Mariotta has been media driven fueled by the Titans desire to trade back.

Thursday can't come quick enough.

BigSnacks54 likes this.
  12. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I'm in

If you think he's a good pick @6.....then go get him...go for it

13. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Testify.

_

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Well if he walks next year for nothing I bet u wish we traded him for a franchise QB...

15. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

MM is the only pick if falls to #6...........but don't hold your breath

Walt White likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't agree with trading Mo unless he and his agents are asking for JJ Watt money and the two sides are at an impasse; otherwise, I'd even give up 3 #1s if I had to. If they miss it will hurt, but I don't think it would radically different than if we don't take Mariota. Either way, we aren't going anywhere until we find a QB.

17. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

If they ever trade up for him it's gonna be crazy. :D

I'll love it. He's got star potential...

18. JStokes

I keep waiting to hear this this week.

Dying here. :D

_

#18 JStokes, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    NYJetsO12 and Walt White like this.
  19. Big Cat

Stokes, you and I are both high on MM and wouldn't mind trading up, but what realistically would you give before you aren't comfortable anymore? As I said above, I wouldn't give the 3rd first rounder, I'm interested to see what you think given how outward you are in your support for him.

20. JStokes

Swap 1sts. Our 3rd. Our 1st next year.

And my left nut.

Tenn doesn't want to be drafting outside the top 6. Everything Cleve or the Rams or Philly will throw at them will be outside the true blue chippers.

Plus they don't get my left nut.

It's a sweet deal all around.

_

NYJetsO12 and Big Cat like this.