2017 Compensatory picks

Discussion in 'Draft' started by 73klecko, May 1, 2016.

1. 73klecko

73klecko Member

I saw that Mac said one reason he felt compelled to trade a 2017 pick is that he thought the Jets would get a compensatory pick next year. According to this we will not.

http://overthecap.com/draft/

Is it possible he is mistaken? The only qualifying guys we have remaining are Fitz and Mo.

Is it possible our team doesn't understand how this works or that this site is wrong or something else?

2. Will

Will Well-Known Member

3. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

OTC figures work on a cancellation basis (e.g. incoming offsets outgoing). I'm not sure if the Forte, McLendon and Jenkins incoming contracts totally cancel out the big bucks contracts of Harrison, Davis and Ivory.

I stand to be corrected because this causes confusion every year but if this is the case, I'd feel aggrieved that some incoming contracts totalling half the value of the outgoing stop us from obtaining comp picks.

Axel3419 likes this.
  4. 73klecko

73klecko Member

To earn picks, it is the net of players you lost and players you gained. It would be pretty poor management if we lose a 4th rounder because we signed Jarvis Jenkins when we could have just re-signed Douzable.

5. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

You are correct it is offset by your signings. Dollar difference can get you a seventh but only 32 comp picks are awarded. So if you sign a equal number of qualifiers as you lose, and 32 picks have been "earned" by other teams then you would get no pick no matter what the contract difference. As I said if it is contract money difference it is capped at a seventh. That is the situation we are currently in. Now, one way we could have a net loss of players ………..Fitz signs elsewhere. Was Mac hinting at that? Who knows?..
    Due to his time in league, I think the max we could get for Fitz is 4th . hmmmmmmmm

6. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

It all depends if Walls, Ridley and Allen make the cut for what is counted. If any of them do we would get a 4th for Harrison because it always goes to an equal or lesser corresponding FA unless there are only higher ranked ones left. If by chance the cut goes even lower and more than one of Walls, Ridley and Allen makes it then it would be a 4th and a 5th. If all 3 make it, which would be a big stretch, then it would be a 4th, 5th and 6th. All three are making $840K this year so not likely to make the cut.

7. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

Good lord, somebody break out the Euclidean Geometry handbook so we can try to figure out if we'll get a pick or not.

wewantsapp, NYJetsO12 and Jets Esq. like this.
  8. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

If MM says we're gonna get one ... I'll take his word for it ...

Red Menace and Walt White like this.
  9. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

Walls, Ridley, Allen listed as non qualifying for what its worth.

10. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

9m a year for Snacks only nets a 4th? I remember a few years ago Green Bay got a third for Jennings and he didn't get close to 9m.

11. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

12. JetsfanHBca

JetsfanHBca Active Member

Actually the Vikings gave Jennings a 2yr 18mil deal so it was 9mil a year and after adjusting for the rising cap a 3rd rounder compensatory pick isn't out of the question but I agree the Packers were fortunate that the comity assigned them a 3rd prob should have been a 4th especially after Jennings play as a Viking dropped off.

Additionally Snack received a 5yr 46.25Mil deal from the Ginas or 9.25 Mil per year. Meaning, Losing Harrison could hold a 3rd round value before cancellation

Just a few things about compensatory picks. For starters there are 32 awarded each year So essentially it adds another round to the draft. The NFL has never announced its formula so these sites that list possible compensatory picks are just making an educated guess. http://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/
    What is known is that the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. Essentially a comity is in charge or assigning picks after the season so its not just salary but also factors in how well the new player fills in. Not sure what they do for injuries.

Ozymandias likes this.
  13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

As a Jets fan I have to ask, what is a compensatory pick?