Rex Ryan Hasn't Learned a Thing

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by HomeoftheJets, May 27, 2016.

1. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Except jets are the ones kicked him out of the door, happy he is gone and will shoot him in the face if he ever shows up on the doorsteps again.

Other than that - just like an ex.

Here is a better comparison
    We are like an ex who loves telling friends about her whacky, dead beat good for nothing ex husband.

#21 RuJFan, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016
  2. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

2 1/2 sacks and two forced fumbles during the Super Bowl, oh yeah Von Miller was dropping off into coverage all right.

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He has learned how to beat the Jets any time he wants..doesn't that count?

4. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Rex knows a bunch about:
    [​IMG]

5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

He did occasionally drop into coverage and not cry about it. That INT vs NE in the AFC title game was huge.

6. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

So all of a sudden, Rex's comments in a media interview mean something?

And Mario Williams is a bitch. He was just upset that Rex's schemes make it so it's more deception and less of him getting individual stats. Obviously Williams wanted to appease his own ego and be the star. Also, how often did he really drop into coverage? It's not like Rex was doing it every play.

#26 Sam Hammer, Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Surely there's a reason they went from tops in the league of pressure defense at 54 sacks and 3 defensive lineman with double digit sack numbers under Jim Schwartz to the bottom of the league with 21 and all of their playmakers sack numbers cut in half (Dareus' diminished to 2) under Rex?

Or it could purely be coincidence. You choose.

8. Sam Hammer

Honestly, I think there are many factors involved. When players are learning and adjusting to a new system, it is very difficult when they don't buy in or are unhappy with their role. It was kind of surprising that the Buffalo defense declined as much as it did, when the Jets D went from the middle of the league to #1 in Rex's first year.

I don't think it's just Rex. I think the big difference between Rex in 2009 and Rex in 2015 is that the 2009 Jets completely bought in, while the 2015 Bills did not. Again, it's pretty surprising to me because Rex is a players coach, for the most part. Maybe he's changed that in hopes to learn from his mistakes on the Jets? It doesn't seem that way, but you never know.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Cmon dude. Scheme change shouldn't account for a 34 sack differential with literally the same personnel. It worked for Rex because the defense was built for a 3-4. Instead he tried to force it instead of lining those guys up where they were comfortable in obvious pass situations. Dareus is a little bit behind Suh as a 3T disruptor. Instead he was playing the 5T all year and lining up on the nose at times.

We'll see how Bowles fairs. The Richardson at OLB was pretty much a failure but he tried to get them all on the field. I expect to see a lot more defensive fronts this year like we saw vs. Washington. Traditional 4 man fronts with speed on the edge, rather then just trying to jam them all into the formation.

10. Sam Hammer

You are right. Scheme shouldn't account for a 34 sack differential and a dropoff in total yards given up from 4th to 19th.

Did Rex simply bite off more than he can chew, expecting the Bills Dline to be as versatile as the Jets Dline? It boggles the mind. I guess when players are so used to playing a certain way, it's difficult to change. On the Jets he was able to groom Wilkerson, Richardson and Williams (to a lesser extent) into the players he wanted from the beginning, while with the Bills he tried to change the way veterans have already been taught to play.

It's strange, because the Bills defense seemed to play at an all pro level against the Jets both games this year, so I guess it's hard to evaluate what really went wrong. Maybe some Bills fans could chime in. I only saw a handful of Bills games last year. I'm not a huge Rex fan overall, and think he's horrible when it comes to discipline and accountability, but the one thing he did well, was disguising coverage on defense.

#30 Sam Hammer, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

The lack of calmness a coach like Rex displays can explain a lot of the rollercoaster rides he takes his teams with the huge blowout wins and losses and the win-lose-win-lose status we usually see under Rex. He makes his players want to run through a brick wall for him. And then once they do they're too physically and mentally worn out to compete the next week.

I like the calmness of Bowles and the way he seems to understand highs and lows (as rumored by a private locker room speech after Houston), but that on the surface it needs to be cool, calm and collected. Rex is a raging lunatic at all times. It's not good for a franchises psyche.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I agree with this. A coach's demeanor means a lot. When the coach shows calm and measure, the team will get more fired up when he shows emotion during a certain drive that's key to a game.

When the coach is fired up all day, hey guys let's kick some ass, we're winning the Super Bowl, I like feet, fuck that guy and his rings let's go kick some ass, yadda yadda yadda...

That's tiresome and gets old quick. Like being coached by the Hanson Brothers from Slapshot.

13. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

It work ed for the Penguins

14. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

You think the head coach will learn from his new assistant?

Bills assistant DBs coach Ed Reed says it's important the Bills don't treat games against New England as their Super Bowl. Their goals should be bigger than that, he emphasizes.