Official 2016 Training Camp Discussion

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We're in a real shitty spot with the 4 quarterback conundrum. It's dumb to keep 4 as teams usually only keep 2 as it is. At this point if they want Petty and Hackenberg to compete next year they need to keep Geno as the backup so that if Fitz goes down we're not ruining one of them by forcing them to play.

That being said, this scenario is not very good for Petty. If he had progressed at all to instill confidence into this coaching staff then he should be able to handle backup duty this year (2nd year in the same system, same coaches, same wideouts essentially). If we can't cut Geno because we think it'll hurt Petty's development seeing any regular season action then he probably doesn't have a good chance to develop into even a career backup.

Nice to have Fitz back, but the real storyline for training camp is going to be the offensive line and how Clady comes back/if he can stay healthy. We need to see if Qvale can unseat Giacomini, although I don't think cutting him is a smart move. We have zero depth in terms of starting experience whether good or bad. We can't be cutting guys in place of players whom have never played an NFL snap.

The defense is very exciting and deep. We should rank in the top 10 in a bunch of defensive categories as we'll see if the run defense takes even a remote step back with the loss of Damon Harrison. I don't think it's a major loss considering the deal he got and I fully expect an added element of athleticism with the youthful outside linebackers and Lee as an X-factor on third down specifically in blitzing situations. He has the speed to be used in safety blitzing situations and should undoubtedly be a step up in pass coverage over Harris on third downs and obviously the zero that Demario Davis was.

The big thing for this defense is going to be being able to generate pressure without rushing more than 5. If we can't then we could be in trouble as Marcus Williams seems like a better cover 2 corner with safety help and Revis can't really play 0 coverage on the outside against burners anymore like he used to. Should still be exciting to watch though.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

One thing is certain about the Jets defense...Calvin Pace is finally gone.

3. DefenseWinsChampionships

Pace was aging & lost lots of speed but overall was very good for us. Could pressure the QB while also being able to set the edge. Hopefully this Jenkins kid out of Georgia can step in & become a productive edge setter from day one.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Gotta hope Milliner actually stays healthy, cornerback talent outside of Revis is a big question mark. Cannot continue to have Revis go 1 on 1 with the Nukes and especially Watkins. Jets need to find a reliable corner and safety help will be critical. Jets should be able to generate pressure with 4 now. Wilkerson, Sheldon, Leonard, Maudlin / Jenkins. Maybe Freddie Bishop will actually make plays?

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I read through the grapevine around Jets communities that Milliner, McDougle and Burris all looked good today. It's day one so we'll see how they progress. Reports said Burris is surprisingly athletic for his size and moves well laterally. An important factor in this for me is going to be Bowles stubbornness. He proved pretty inept at making adjustments vs. Buffalo but he did pretty well all season long with halftime adjustments. That to me seemed more to be stubbornness in trusting Revis to undercut Watkins on at least one of those stop routes and it never happened. It almost seemed like the staff was in denial about his newfound limitations.

You can blame both IMO.

The outside linebacker spots are very intriguing. We haven't had athleticism at that spot since Pace first signed and he had never really been fleet of foot. Mauldin's improvements are key to this teams pass rush development. I set the over/under at 14 sacks combined from the OLB spot which would be a huge boost. Either way the front 7 is going to be a huge pain in the ass for teams to try to move. Single coverage on the outside for youthful speedy players should produce a lot of sacks and good match ups for both Mauldin and Jenkins.

I know it hasn't been as long as I may seem to be exaggerating but to have a 2nd year 3rd rounder and a rookie 3rd rounder as both essentially plug and play players right away is exciting. The amount of young talent on the defense paves the way for basically the entire 2017 draft to be committed to the offense. I'm going to be frustrated if I see a defensive player drafted before the 3rd round/4th round next year.

6. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Man, I still don't get what happened in the Buff game. I'm not buying the Revis wrist thing either. I think you're onto it tho with TB making a mistake there...
    The play was to be aggressive with Watkins AND Taylor imo, and was expecting that going in.

Anyway, for CB, between Williams, Skrine, Milliner, McDougle, and Burris, I think we'll be okay there as a couple of them emerge in camp during competition. They may give TB some versatility and options to make it work.
    It'll be interesting to watch that develop.
    I like Burriss and we'll see what he has between the ears. TB likes Williams.
    If Milliner doesn't brake like glass again we'll see if he can compete, and can actually cut it....

7. 101GangGreen101

Jenkins will do a lot of the dirty work. He will be a much appreciated Jet. Don't expect Jenkins to get 7 to 10 sacks, but he will be productive in his role. The key for Mauldin is can he stay in on all 3 downs? If he can, his productivity should also increase and the 3-4 blitzes will be more effective. Both of these linebackers will feed off each other and hopefully that can accelerate the learning process.

I hope these guys pan out and contribute so we can rebuild the offense in the next couple of drafts, but I wouldn't be shocked to see us grab a corner and free safety in the near future.

8. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I'm really interested to see if Amaro can step up, but I'm concerned that Gailey's scheme doesn't utilize the TE much. He could pose a real mismatch problem for opposing Ds if we can carve out a role for him.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he's gone at the moment. He's just a phone call away though and if the young guys show that they are having trouble setting the edge I believe they can and would dial that number and bring Pace back at the veteran minimum for 1st and 2nd downs

FJF likes this.
  10. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

IF Dee Milliner can give us #2 NFL caliber corner play, it would immensely help out the defense. On the subject of Bryce and 4 QBs, Personally I think Geno is a dead man walking. From my perspective they gave Ryan Fitzpatrick 12 million dollars, that means he's worth that much more than Geno Smith. If we went into the year with no fitz, and Geno was the starter, the last 8 games would be split between Bryce and Christian to see what they had. Obviously the coaching staff has no faith in Geno Smith, no ties to him, and want to see what their guys have.

11. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I don't think this means the staff doesn't have faith in Geno...I think bringing Fitz back was a no brainer. For the basis of this offense Fitz can run it well. But him being back gives you a solid backup in Geno just in case Fitz gets hurt. Geno was said to be running the offense well before he got his jaw jacked.

This in return gives Petty and Hack the time needed to develop. You have your #1 guy back and you have Geno, who's a solid backup option which u don't have to rush the other two guys.

And Dee he's going to be HUGE for this team. skrine was very good in the slot and I think the staff wants him there. So you have to believe Dee needs to show he can stay healthy and cover #2 and sometimes #1 guys. Ima Marcus fan myself so I'm rooting for him to get more reps because he makes plays when he's out there.

12. 101GangGreen101

Watkins can beat anyone deep pretty much and he has the physical strength to play against press. He's a nightmare matchup for the Jets, dare I say just as dangerous as Gronk. We should've put Revis on the #2 guy and completely take Watkins out of the game with #2 and safety help. Hopefully Bowles learned his lesson. I put that on both Revis and Bowles.

fansince90 and tiger8mush like this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Thats the messed up part about that whole thing. Not to rail on Fitzpatrick but if he doesn't piss away the game with Interceptions that whole strategy against Watkins gets looked at very differently.

The story now is that Watkins nickled them to death all game. But without Fitzpatrick pissing it away in Buffalo territory the story is that they were able to win the game because they held Watkins to nickles all game instead of the deep TD pass.

they probably should've gotten more agressive late in the game when they needed to. But I watched a lot of Buffalo games and when they won home games they usually did so by running the ball, screens, and hitting a deep ball to Watkins. Their passing game wasn't much beyond that. I'm sure the staff saw that and wanted to limit that. I also think we should give credit to Tyrod Taylor because he was completing passes that game that he hadn't all year, he played well

TwoHeadedMonster and fansince90 like this.
  14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I actually hope the staff has the balls to go the season with 4 qbs if they all show some kind of growth. Geno, petty and hack are all young and at the minimum increase our odds of finding a long term solution

fansince90, RuJFan and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Jenkins is a far better edge rusher than people realize. I can see him getting 6-7 sacks as a rookie. I don't have expectations but he has a lot more talent in the pass rush dept than ppl realize.

TwoHeadedMonster and FJF like this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

He moved the chains on us with each catch, our defense was on the field so long, a lot of those drives were 11+ play drives. Yes, Fitzpatrick did royally fuck that game up also, especially the throw to Decker that resulted in the INT to McKelvin, but the Jets could've had more shots. Bills converted close to 50% of their 3rd downs. I do blame Fitz more, but the defense didn't show up either that day.

Fucking Greg Salas though.

17. 101GangGreen101

I don't expect him to hit 6 or 7 sacks his rookie year, not with all of the other talent around him. Doable, but not expecting it.

fansince90 likes this.
  18. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It's not impossible at all though, he has a ton of talent, I think he was the better LB from Georgia, and he has been making plays all offseason. The talent around him will only free him up for more opportunities as well. He is more than capable of getting 6 sacks in his rookie year. I don't expect much either from any rookie but I wouldn't bet against him either.

19. 101GangGreen101

Again not saying it's impossible, I'm not expecting him to right away. He needs to set the edge help out in run support first and foremost. I agree, I thought he was better then Floyd and he stood out during the draft process.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

20. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Literally forgot about him until seeing your post.