WR's

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by cbman13, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

I really hope we cut Breno stick Ijalana in with the starters and we can go with Qvale, Johnson, Watts for depth ... Shell to the PS

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Jalin Marshall is bad in traffic. He hears the footsteps and he drops the football. I'd definitely have him below Anderson and Peake. It will be either Marshall OR Ross on the team for their return capabilities, not both. Ross looked like he got dinged a little near the end of the Gints game. If he's hurt then Marshall gets the spot by default.

3. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Anderson seen 60+ snaps saturday all on offense... none on special teams.. sounds like he's locked to me. I haven't seen Peake since the first game..but Jalin Marshall has also seen a lot of action..

Looks to me that Ross has played better than Marshall so far, Ross has had a few good returns and made some good catches on offense as well. I haven't seen Jalin do much on offense yet. He's had a fumble and a few drops though.

4. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

As far as I'm concerned, Anderson's talents and abilities go far beyond his accumulated stats in the two relatively meaningless preseason games played thus far. One only has to closely observe him in action to see what a truly gifted, special talent he clearly is. That, together with everything I've read about him including his eye-opening performances during camp as well as the numerous obstacles he has faced and successfully overcome on the path to where he is now make him an obvious keeper (in my mind at least).

Outside of being a much better blocker and physically stronger, just what, in your opinion, makes Enunwa a better receiver than Anderson? In what areas of the receiving game is Quincy superior to Robby?

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Chan over-values large body WRs that can block downfield during the 'other half' of the offense. If one of these guys ain't that,well.....

6. Altoona

As far as Jalin Marshall is concerned, I definitely believe we should keep him on the roster too. IMO, he is already a better player than what he has shown thus far and the mistakes, be they dropped passes or related to ball security, are more a result of him being overly excited and trying a little too hard to impress and do too much. I'd be willing to give him a baptism by fire and make him our KR/PR/#5 or #6WR. If the trial is unsuccessful, I'm a proponent of stashing Chandler Worthy on the practice squad and promoting him to the active roster in the event Jalin is not up to the job. Either that or resigning Ross if he's still available.

Having said that, I'm still an advocate of keeping 7WRs:

1. B. Marshall
    2. Decker
    3. Enunwa
    4. Anderson
    5. Marshall
    6. Peake
    7. Ross

7. Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous Well-Known Member

What is with the love affair with Jalin Marshall? He's had a "great training camp" but when he gets into games he looks in over his head. The drops and fumbles are bad. Not how you make a team as an undrafted rookie.

I would put him at number 7 on that depth chart; I think he almost surely gets cut.

Anderson I think is a lock. He would have been drafted if he had a quarterback worth a damn at Temple.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  8. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I'm sure Anderson is a lock for this roster now. In terms of pure WR's he maybe the most ready to step in and help the team should a need arise. He won't need to play ST, he's shown he's a legit WR that needs to make this team.

I think Peake will make it as well because you can't risk losing him on the PS.

Marshall showed a lot and I saw he ran a lot with the ones too but there's something to be said about the ball security issues that could come up. He's talented but out of the 3 rooks, he's the one IMO that has the most shaky roster spot. He's been great in camp but guys who can't hold onto the ball usually don't last in this league. The one way to remedy is this is to just carry 7, including Ross and let itself work out. This would be Kembrell is cut. He's making a bit of money and I think he's someone that you can grab weeks later in case of injury anyway.

Altoona and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Marshall may make the team on his STs play alone. IMO he has too much talent and potential not to keep on the roster. There's no way he'd clear waivers and make it to the PS. Ross has looked solid in games and had a very good camp, but let's not forget that he's had a history of fumbles. If I'm Bowles, I keep both Marshall and Ross. He saw last year how not having a real returner hurt the STs and field position. Marshall and Ross provide insurance for each other. Marshall supposedly has great hands. He's too young and talented to give up on this quickly. He can learn to hold onto the ball over the middle. If not, they can keep him just as the PR/KOR. There's room on the roster for 7 WR, and I don't know of any other young players who are any better or more worth keeping. If either Ross or Marshall struggle during the season, then he can be the player waived when Smith comes off the short term IR list.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

if Marshall has great hands he certainly hasn't shown it much in the games. They can't keep everyone. Its gotta be Ross OR Marshall IMO, especially with 4 QBs

11. NCJetsfan

He has caught passes in preseason games. Yes, the drops are concerning and disappointing, but again, if the camp reports are to be trusted, he has made a lot of tough, great catches in camp.

While they can't keep everyone, they can keep 7 WRs and 4 QBs. I posted a possible roster in a thread this weekend, where there are 25 each on offense and defense and 3 on STs, and it included 4 QBs and 7 WRs.

Who would you keep over Marshall or Ross? IMO there's no other depth player that's as talented and has the upside of Marshall. We know how much not having a returner last year hurt STs. IMO the Jets need to have some insurance at the position. If they pick between Marshall and Ross, they're screwed if the one they pick gets injured or has fumbling/drops problems. IMO having that insurance is more important than having another defensive player or OL that will never see the field.

#191 NCJetsfan, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  12. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I think Marshall's upside at WR is what we used to get out of Kerley before he tailed off. That and special teams acumen can be valuable.

13. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

The way Shell and Dozier have looked in preseason I can't see them making the team and with Jarvis already cut I could very well see us carrying 7 wideouts

14. NCJetsfan

I can't see Dozier making the team. They may keep Shell just for future upside. If they do, I hope it's on the PS and not on the roster.

15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

He also had the best return for us on a kickoff in preseason. If it comes down to him or ross (which it probably would) I'd rather have marshall who could grow into a starter or at least slot WR for us. Ross is a solid PR with very limited WR ability (6th WR at best) who is 28 and been around the league a bit

16. Altoona

Not if they're able to stash Worthy on the Practice Squad whom they could call up in the event one or more of the scenarios you described took place. Even before his long return against the Giants, I've really like what I've seen from him in terms of his hands, speed and route running. He had plenty of experience as a return man on a crappy college team (Troy). He's also been timed as low as 4.27 in the 40, had a 39-1/2" vertical, 11-1/2' broad and benched 225 17 times. Worthy also is intelligent, hard working, possesses an excellent overall attitude and a high level of maturity.

His workout stats aside, I believe he represents an excellent insurance policy at worst and merits a position on a 53 man roster at best.

17. Altoona

He had 4 receptions for 32 yds and two 1st downs with a long of 12 against the Redskins and he also caught a really nice 26 yarder from Hackenberg against the Giants.....

#197 Altoona, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    JetLifeLo likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

I agree if they're able to keep Worthy on the PS. That may or may not be a big if. I don't know what other teams' needs are at WR/Returner.

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

no reason to stress the roster or risk losing a young talent to another team - just drop Geno who is gone next year anyway and keep the WR's you want.

Ralebird, NYGANGGREEN and Altoona like this.
  20. I see Jalin as more of an all purpose offensive skill player. He's a better ball carrier then he is a hands or traffic guy.

You can use him in slot,certain looks in backfield & of course as a returner.

He likely isn't part of the game plan against more physical opponents unless the plan is to beat them w/ speed. But he's a great guy to have in tight games, as a spot starter due to injury or to pick up the O on days the full time skill guys are struggling.Maybe he takes a different gadget players spot;Bohanan/Kellen Davis??

Peake & Anderson are pure WRs.Jets have had an empty carriage here for far too long. It would be devastating to let either guy walk.

NYGANGGREEN and NCJetsfan like this.