James Hasty's Way Too Early Mock

Discussion in 'Draft' started by James Hasty, Nov 27, 2016.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

This draft is weak at QB and OL.

Trading down could net us a pick to use on one next year.

2. JDeacon

JDeacon Well-Known Member

I get the dream of having an all pro outside lb but those guys are so far and few between. The offensive line is horrible with no young talent to replace our aging vets it has to be addressed early.

It is a disgrace that we did not have a LT in the wings to take over for Brick. We had 10 freaking years to groom 1 player to fill that spot and this organization failed. The same now can be said about Mangold and the center position, and the right tackle, right guard etc.

Since this team has become obsessed with drafting defense in the first round we have slipped gradually from 09 and 10 into utter crap on the offensive side. Look at all the teams with great defensive lines, they all suck. The NFL isn't what it used to be anymore, interior o-linemen are allowed to hold every play making our prized d-line pretty much worthless unless they want to stop the run, in a passing league.

The patriots didn't beat us by pounding the rock, Brady beat us with one drive standing behind his o-line and feeding the ball to his wr's. As a result, our shit line gets Fitz strip sacked on the second play the following drive.

The first and second pick has to be offensive linemen. We have young wr's with promise, but no offensive line to allow any qb a chance to get these young kids the ball.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. James Hasty

I did take a center with our high second rounder.

nyjetsmets89 likes this.
  4. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

There are a lot of good arguments for drafting offensive lineman generally, and our historic lack of doing it is absolutely an issue. We need to sometime soon, but the offensive lineman available this year are just not good. There's no-one worthy of our first-round pick, so unless we luck into a respectable trade down, we shouldn't / won't take one in the first.

There are some solid interior OL prospects available and maybe some potential RT prospects who might be are around in the 2nd/3rd, which is where I'd be looking OL. Indiana's Dan Feeney, Ohio State's Pat Elfein, Roderick Johnson, Forest Lamp...

We should take the best possible value in the first round. No, we shouldn't draft a defensive lineman. But we'd be fools to pass on Myles Garrett (3-4 OLB) for example.

I personally think it's very possible our top 3 picks are DB (upgrade, big money-saver), OL (money-saver even if talent-neutral), and RB (talent-up, in a super-loaded class.)

---

Cleveland's entire new management approach makes the top-trade in this draft hyper-unrealistic. They're building depth across positions as fast as possible, and I don't see them giving up a first and high-second rounder for the 5th overall pick. They'll be able to practically retool their entire defense with their first 4 draft picks and the richness of defensive back talent in this draft. We -might- be able to move Richardson to them for the 33rd overall pick.

If anything I see Cleveland being willing to move from #1 to #5-6 if they're perfectly happy taking Jonathan Allen over Myles Garrett and picking up an extra pick in the process.

#24 wampa, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. James Hasty

I could have done multiple trades instead of the one trade with Cleveland. Not sure about the Brown's strategy but one trade allowed me to present this without having to follow multiple trades.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Why does trading down equal remaining inept?

7. NCJetsfan

I wouldn't want a player who has never played OT before, especially LT, playing LT in the NFL.

8. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

I don't think he should be playing LT right away, but he might be able to develop into one down the road. I think that a team is going to draft him and give him a shot at RT, and then if he can't make the transition, they can then play him at C or OG.

9. NCJetsfan

Huh? You DID do multiple trades. There are 3 there. I don't think that is realistic at all.

I agree with all your cuts, but I'd add Gilchrist to that, and maybe even David Harris, although with the way he has helped Lee this season, it may be worth it to keep him around one more season.

I also agree with the Jets FAs you'd keep, except I might keep Josh Martin as well.

I don't think we'd be able to afford all those FAs, however. Wisniewski would be a great add, and Warford would be as well, but think I'd like Kevin Zeitler over Warford. I'd be shocked beyond words if we were able to sign Eric Berry.

I'm not wild about Mallett, but as a vet to hold the clipboard for Petty and Hack, would be ok. I remember that Amukamara was pretty highly thought of coming out of college, but has he been that good in the pros? Hasn't he also had some injury issues? (I just looked up his career stats. He's had problems staying healthy, and has only played one full season in his 5 1/2 year NFL career. He's also not a big ballhawk, so I'd pass on him.

Kuhn would be a good add if we have to add a FB, but I'm not convinced we need one.

Tamme's been a pretty good player in the NFL, but is more of an H-Back imo at 6'3, 230 lbs.,he isn't very consistent, plus he's 31, so I'd pass. At 6'5". 260 lbs., Gresham is more the size we need and he's only 28. He was pretty consistent with the Bengals, but doesn't appear to have been utilized very much with the Cardinals. I'd definitely take him.

With it not being a great draft for OTs, I'd look to sign at least one OT as a FA. That would be my #1 FA priority, not an afterthought. I'd be happy if I signed two solid OTs to start next season even if I didn't add another FA. I also think you address OT too low in the draft, but that's another issue.

I'd try my darnedest to sign Schrader away from the Falcons to hold down the RT spot. I'd also make a play for Andrew Whitworth as a stop gap LT starter next season. Ijalana and Qvale have been decent this season, but both are better suited to being backups imo.

I don't want Romo, so I sure wouldn't trade away a draft pick to get him. I'd also make TE a higher priority I haven't had time to follow college ball this season, so can't really speak to who you took, but basically like the positions addressed.

10. NCJetsfan

IMO we don't have time to develop an LT "down the road." We probably won't find one in the 2017 draft, but finding our new LT starter needs to be the top priority in the 2018 draft. For 2017, I think we should sign Andrew Whitworth away from the Bengals if we can. Ijalana's OK, but if at all possible, we need to upgrade the LT position before Petty or Hack step on the field.

11. James Hasty

If Pocic were to establish himself as a tackle it would be a good thing but I think he has the potential to take over for Mangold as our pro bowl center of the future.

I didn't include Gilchrist in the cuts as there would be a lot of dead money. Also Pryor may be a candidate for ILB which would leave a hole at safety.

12. NCJetsfan

Gilchrist would only have a $2.75 million dead money hit, but would save the Jets $4.625 million. He's not playing well, so I think he should go. Bowles likes him, however, so if Bowles is still here, then I'm sure Gilchrist will be.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm starting to think we need to keep Gilchrist. As much of a non-factor as he's been, replacing 2/4 of the secondary spots in one offseason with not many free agency options out there could spell disaster. It's also not as if the other two spots have good definitive starters either. Pryor is the only definite in the secondary and he's been subpar this year, while Skrine is a slot corner at best (and where he's actually a good player).

Keeping Gilchrist allows us to focus on the two shitty open corner spots.

If we can get Harris to restructure he should be retained. Lee looks like a player, but he definitely can't play that strongside backer role. He needs a Harris type of player next to him to roam and make plays because he doesn't get off blocks well (he has to rely on beating them to the spot).

14. NCJetsfan

You may be right concerning Gilchrist, but could it really be any more of a disaster than it has been this season? The thing is that we would gain over $4 million in cap space, and with that, Mac could sign another FA FS who would be better, and maybe younger. Even if not, I'd rather the secondary be bad because it was all young players who had a lot of potential learning on the field and growing up together, than being bad because we kept older, mediocre players.

I agree concerning Harris. Lee credits Harris a lot for keeping him even keel and teaching him a lot this year. Harris can still play. If we add another young LB, Harris could help mentor him too. IMO he has earned the right to retire a Jet.

15. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

If Macc takes another defensive player high in the Jets there will be a coup that day at the stadium. Lot of TE's in the offseason which we do not utilize at all. Gailey could have in their prime Dave Casper,Russ Francis and Mark Bavarro and he still wouldn't throw the ball to them.

16. James Hasty

I am not advocating another 3-4 DE and think that #5 overall is a bit to high for a CB but our defense has not been good at stopping the pass. Getting a pass rusher that can put the fear of God into opposing QBs has got to be a very high priority for this team (along with QB, LT, and possibly elite level RB, CB, or S). Getting a player at any position that can play at a pro bowl level for a decade is preferable to reaching for an inferior player at another position "because we need one".

boozer32 and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

I don't get the obsession with some peoples hate for taking defensive players high, its not like we have some sort great defense with all those picks because most have been busts. Mac wasnt here for the last 10 years but regardless he HAS to address the offensive side of the ball simply because others chose not too?? You know who the last 2 offensive players we've drafted in the 1st are, their names are Mark Sanchez and Dustin Keller so please enough. I could argue that Mac has done great drafting so far atleast with our 1st because back to back weve gotten Leo and Lee and Leo as we all know is a beast and Lee had probably his best game all year last week. Would u rather us draft lesser talent on offense simply because they play offense. What if i told you that the amount of Elite defensive talent is far greater than the number of offensive talent. Im not trying to single u out but i hear that argument all the time and frankly its IDIOTIC, its not like were one player away from a championship just get the BPA. Mac and rest of us jets fan shouldn't have to pay for the past sins/mistakes of other regimes.

#37 Nesquik, Dec 5, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    James Hasty and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

What you're saying is true, but by the same token, I don't think it's too hard to understand why fans are so upset. We're tired of seeing the offense ignored and it continuing to suck.

Yes, it's better to take a better defensive player than a lesser offensive player and not reach out of need, but perhaps Mac could trade down, garner an extra pick or two and then draft an offensive player who is the top-rated player at that point of the draft. With all the needs this team has, having additional picks could be the ticket. While we may not get one stud player that way, we may get more solid, good-to very good players who will help the team more than one stud could. Also, with the additional pick or picks, Mac could then take a D player or two. I think it would help the morale of the fan base to see Mac use the #1 pick on an offensive player for a change. Of course, it always takes a trading partner and an acceptable offer to trade down.

I normally am against taking a RB in the 1st round, but as you know we have a need at RB, and Leonard Fournette (if his injury history isn't a concern) or Dalvin Cook lower down in the first round could help our offense, and by extension, our defense, a lot. If the Wisconsin LT rises in the draft to the teens as many think he will, then perhaps the best move would be for Mac to trade down, take that LT, and then he could address the LB or CB position with the additional 2nd and/or 3rd round pick he'd get from trading down.

Nesquik likes this.
  19. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Im all for trading down especially in this draft because i think really good players are gonna go in the 20s, specifically CBs and RBs, but like you said it always takes a partner and I'm starting to think trading down is a lot harder that it seems. In theory everyone wants to acquire more picks and still get their guy. But I'm sure others have tried and whiffed and have ultimately come to regret the decision.

Mac tried like hell to get Tunsil last year but a 1st 2nd and a 4th is what we would have had to give up to the Giants for a player who was caught smoking weed out of a bong right when the draft started. How dumb does that trade look if weeks, months later he gets in trouble gets suspended . Hindsight is hindsight and he didnt ultimately get in trouble and id probably do that trade today but at the same time i wouldn't have picked Hack in the 2nd so I'm not so sure.

I maybe exaggerating my understanding of the frustration with the continuation of drafting defensive players high but I'm not gonna limit Mac and ask him to do something i wouldn't do if i were in his position. U and i both study the draft more than most and I'm sorry if we are in that top 5 which is where I'm projecting we stay, What offensive player is there for us to choose if we don't trade out. Trade down get Cook id love it, trade down and get Ryan Ramczyk id love that too. But its not like Mac isn't trying to pick offensive players in the 1st, he's chosen 2 straight in a row in the 2nd, so he isn't completely ignoring that side

Fournette is the only talent that you can justify taking that early but he is a RB and that scares me especially with his injury history as u stated. U look at Todd Gurley very similar prospect but he'd be in a similar situation if we picked him here. Regressing O-line and no QB so what does that really solve. He's struggling because there is nothing around him and u know what the Rams did, they addressed needs Tavon Austin (8th Overall) and Greg Robinson(1st Overall). You can address needs all you want but if u pick the wrong players it doesn't matter. Im all about keeping it simple choosing the BPA, especially in the 1st. That why i love Mac I'm not assuming he's choosing the BPA, he says it all the time, thats the strategy and i wholeheartedly agree with it.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

Good post. Trading down can bite you. Look at when Parcells traded down. He passed up both Orlando Pace and Walter Jones for Jeff Lageman and some forgettable players.

Yes, Mac did try to trade up for Tunsil last year. I'm glad he did, but am even more glad that he didn't pay that price. Tunsil would have to be a perennial All Pro if not HOFer to make it worth that price. As you said, with the weed thing, Mac would have had to have been stupid, had clear evidence that it was an aberration, or had balls of steel.

I understand, and if I were in Mac's shoes, I wouldn't reach for a player, either. If the best player on my board was a defensive player (well anything other than a 3-4 DE/4-3DT) and I couldn't find a partner to trade down, then I'd take the defensive player.

Fournette does pose some risk, and I agree that he would be the only offensive player worthy of being taken that high (at least at this point). Someone could always rise, but those are always pretty risky as well. I'm really hoping that Mac can trade down, get Ramczyk or Dalvin Cook, and get a couple of extra picks out of it (2nd and 4th). If we get Cook, there's always a chance that Mac could draft a quality OG, or maybe another OT that was rated as a 2nd rounder would surprise. Mac could also find a temporary upgrade for the LT spot and maybe even be able to sign a starting quality RT. So I'm not giving up hope for the OL for next season even though this doesn't appear to be a good draft for OL.