Making a Splash in Free Agency

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by cbman13, Feb 19, 2017.

1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Todd Bowles prior to Colts game when asked about starting Petty:

"There's a curiosity to all the young guys that are backing up right now. But that doesn't mean I'm going to start them all right now. There are a lot of guys backing up right now that probably want to be in games that are not ready to play yet.

My perspective is that it is up to Petty, a guy drafted in the 4th round to prove to the organization that he can play. You seem to think the Jets have some obligation to him, to bend over backward to make sure he has all the necessary tools before he can be evaluated fairly. If he was a first round pick I would agree, but guys like Petty drafted in the later rounds, it's on them to show what they got.

#121 westiedog1, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Making a splash in FA. Hmm. Well, my guess is that the Jets will do a belly flop instead of a cannonball. Hell, pepper it with some dead man's float.

#122 jetophile, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  3. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Now compare that to all the other teams in the AFC that don't have a franchise qb. The Bills, Dolphins, Jags, Browns, Titans, Raiders, Texans. Hell, the Chargers have a guy and still stink. The Bengals were a laughing stock until they drafted Dalton and Green and they still can't win a playoff game.

Point is that its near impossible to win a super bowl in the present day NFL without a qb.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Fewest playoff appearances in the AFC post - 2004

Browns - 0
    Bills - 0
    Raiders - 1
    Jaguars - 2
    Titans - 2
    Fins - 2
    Jets - 3
    Texans - 4
    Chargers - 5
    Chiefs - 5
    Broncos - 6
    Ravens - 7
    Bengals - 7
    Steelers - 8
    Colts - 9
    Patriots - 11

That just is what it is. Every team above the Jets on that list sucks and so do a couple of teams below. That kind of definitively puts the Jets in the sucking category at this point and it is not just the QB. The defense sucked last year, the offense sucked last year and the special teams weren't so special in the non-short bus category that is.

Peebag likes this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

this is true, and you are advocating trying to buck the odds and win without a qb. the other alternative is to put yourself in the best position to obtain a qb. we've been trying your way for quite awhile now.

6. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

The problem with the Jets is that they always have pieces but never make a cohesive unit. Occasionally they've worked like a machine, but then the engine gets gummed up and along comes Dick Steinberg and I got even worse stomach cancer.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Westie, that is radically different than saying he's to blame for taking a pounding and running for his life because he wasn't ready. Your reading of that is not what Bowles said imo.

I'm not saying that the Jets owe it to Petty. I'm saying that they owe it to themselves. He showed a lot of improvement and promise and has an excellent arm. He was more ready to play than Hack, and would probably be more ready to start than any QB that we might take in the draft this year. If he doesn't pan out, he doesn't pan it out, but it would be incredibly stupid on their part to just cast him aside now because he was a 4th round pick and didn't set the world on fire behind that crappy OL he had to play behind at the end of last season.

blackssmagic and nicg4360 like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/02/jets_offer_contract_to_njs_kwaun_williams_free_age.html

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
    Follow on Twitter
    on February 21, 2017 at 7:03 PM, updated February 21, 2017 at 7:39 PM

The Jets offered a contract to free agent cornerback K'Waun Williams, a league source told NJ Advance Media.

The source said Williams has contract offers from three other unidentified teams. It is not clear how the offers measure up against one another, or what exactly the Jets offered Williams.

(UPDATE: The source confirmed Williams is heading to the 49ers on a one-year deal, which was first reported Tuesday evening by NFL Media's Ian Rapoport.)

In addition to known free agent visits last week with the Jets and Lions, Williams reportedly visited the 49ers, Vikings, and Dolphins, or at least had arrangements to make those visits.

Williams, who turns 26 in July, was born in Paterson and played at Saint Joseph Regional High in Montvale. He went undrafted out of Pittsburgh in 2014 and has spent his entire NFL career so far with the Browns. Williams is 5-foot-9 and 183 pounds.

His smaller physical build makes him a better fit in the slot, rather than at outside corner. He was primarily a slot corner for the Browns.

The Jets are expected to retain Buster Skrine, their top slot corner, for 2017. But Williams could provide some depth and/or competition. Skrine and Williams overlapped in Cleveland in 2014, before Skrine signed with the Jets after that season.

(Skrine's dead money figure of $5 million is probably too high for the Jets to cut him, though that would create $3.5 million in salary cap space.)

Between 2014 and 2015, Williams played in 26 games, with 10 starts. His career stats: zero interceptions, 10 passes defended, three forced fumbles, two recovered fumbles, and two sacks. Williams didn't play last season, following an ankle injury. (He is back to full health now.)

That injury -- and the treatment of it -- was a point of contention between Williams and the Browns in the preseason.

What an insult to the Jets. He'd rather play for the lowly Niners than the Jets. My guess that is a reflection on Shanahan as HC vs. Bowles.

ColoradoContrails and grkmanga31 like this.
  9. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

One player I would go all in for is Melvin Ingram. Will be 27 years old, entering his prime, and can provide much needed pass rushing. He would be the one free agent I would consider a must need.

blackssmagic likes this.
  10. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

I think if the Jets grabbed Belichick instead of Parcels, you may be the ones boasting about Super Bowls today. The real reason Belichick turned down the Jets job was because he was already offered a job by the Pats. So in a weird way by grabbing Parcels and injuring Bledsoe, you help create the nightmare known as Bill and Tom.

The only reason I went through this Bill Belichick exercise was to argue what I think the Jets should do in the future. It is not sexy but something tells me it is a good plan. When evaluating players today in the NFL, you sort of have to look at them like PE Ratio of stocks. I would probably call it PV ratio for the NFL. The price and the value in return you get for the player. Belichick is like Warren Buffett who looks for value based stocks. What makes the Patriots winners is their depth in all positions. Belichick's biggest mistakes have been when he violated his own rule by paying for big free agent contracts. Looking at the Jets roster, how many players have a high PV ratio and how many have a low PV ratio. The goal is to keep the PV ratio low. Sorry if I sound like Captain Obvious, but it appears to me that many GMs do not seem to get the idea behind PV ratio.

blackssmagic and Br4d like this.
  11. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

This isn't like the other forum Patriot. You would be wise not to troll and leave your smug, condescending bull shit back there

Peebag likes this.
  12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I don't know NC, California, beautiful weather, a football team with great history, I would go there for one year as well.

Shanahan has something to do with it as well, a HC that just came off a SB appearance and has a good reputation.

Not an insult at all, it makes perfect sense.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  13. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I'm fine with making a push in FA for CBs. However, I want to make sure they are on the younger end of their prime. This team needs a couple of years to come together, and the last thing we need to do is continue to try and stop from rolling downhill.

If we make a run at CB in FA, and address another position or two with the same theory in mind I'll be fine with it. What we really need to do is start the process of re-building our offensive line through the draft. The Cowboys did it right, and we should take a similar approach. We need our OLINE to become a young strength that develops together, to stand a shot at any sustained success.

14. NCJetsfan

Earlier, I was all in favor of the Jets signing a FA CB. Not now. FA CBs are ridiculously expensive. We should have learned that by now. We've seen what overpaying Revis did in terms of getting to and winning a SB...nothing. We shouldn't make the same mistake again. We shouldn't tie up all that money in a CB who isn't as good as Revis was. For that matter, I don't think we should sign ANY big contract FAs aside from an LT, but if we do, it should be a pass rushing OLB.

15. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

NC, I'm not saying he is to blame, but might be. As you well know, QB's can add to their own misery by not getting rid of the ball quickly enough and that can be caused by a whole plethora of failures: to recognize defenses, recognize coverages, recognize open receivers and the list goes on. Nevertheless, I think it's simplistic to blame Petty's performance all on the OL as well. Is it the greatest OL? No, but I don't think it's the worst either. Yes, they need a LT but so do a lot of teams including the Giants, who thought they had just drafted one. What irks me about the OL is the penalties. However, I feel that's a sign of poor coaching.

As for Petty's future, all I'm saying is if an opportunity presents itself for the Jets to get someone who they feel is better than Petty (or Hackenberg), either through the draft or FA, don't you think they should do that? Or do you feel they should continue to give them starts until it's clear whether they can do the job?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

That will be macs biggest challenge...To evaluate Petty and Hack enough before the draft and free agency for that matter to see if they should move on for that matter and also if they deem they are not going to be the future for mac to admit he made a mistake drafting them (especially hack as he was a second round pick)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I'd only sign a player that is open to a prove it deal [2 yr deal] like a Stephon Gilmore. He's been up and down he shouldn't warrant big money, but I bet someone of these FAs wouldn't mind betting on themselves in a good scheme. He has a lot of prove in this league.

18. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Damn right, but I guess he had his Liszt and he stuck to it.

NCJetsfan and Peebag like this.
  19. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

We also don't know any details on what the 4 teams offered. I agree, this is not something that we should read too much into.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He makes a very good point about player value in terms of return on investment. The sexy free agents rarely increase the value the team gets against the cap. The only way to do that consistently, increase the value against the cap, is to draft well and have a lot of players in-house working on their first contract and if they're acceptably priced the second one as well.

Every high priced free agent is on your roster because somebody else thought he wasn't worth the price against the cap. So by outbidding a few bad teams (most of the top free agents are signed by teams that missed the playoffs the year before) you have the privilege of sucking up your own limited cap space and further cementing your own status as a team with limited upside and a lot of downside coming down the pike.