A football life,Kevin Greene..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYSackExchange, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Nothing like keeping an open mind, huh, DWC? My only agenda is balance, you don't get to tell me what I should remember and I don't care what you think is "awesome."

A player's abilities don't create automatic success as a coach - that's been proven forever. A couple of opinions may be worthwhile, maybe not. We're not talking about the guy's past, we're talking about the future. Why would you, or anyone else, have a problem with waiting to see some results before draping the laurels?

2. DefenseWinsChampionships

Question.

Who was Clay Matthews OLB coach starting from his rookie season in GB?

How many sacks did Clay put up while under Kevin Greene?

Lets not act as if Matthews was some type of 1st overall draft pick either. He was drafted 26th overall. Pup up sacks of 10, 13.5, 6 & 13 during his 1st 4 seasons with Greene as his OLB coach.

Greene coached that kid up & tapped into his potential. Matthews said so himself.

3. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Reality...what a concept!

4. Glenn G

Glenn G Member

You beat me to this. Was just going to post the same thing.

5. DefenseWinsChampionships

Clay Matthews had a combined 5.5 sacks during his 4 year career with USC.

Then went out & recorded 42.5 NFL sacks during his 1st 4 years in the NFL with none other than Kevin Greene coaching him up (each and every day).

You give one of the greatest OLB's of All-Time. A true pass rushing talent to coach up. And that kid is going to be in great position to enjoy success rushing the passer. Greene & Matthews were a match made in heaven for one another.

As a defensive minded fan I like this addition a lot. A Hall of Famer with culture and energy.

I can't speak for others but I'm patiently waiting to see how a 2nd year kid out of the SEC with strength and great size from Georgia looks in Jordan Jenkins after working one on one with K.G. This Jenkins kid can set the edge and also apply some pressure to the QB. He's no Vernon Gholston. I'm hopeful that Greene can tap into the potential of Jenkins at OLB & turn him into a closer/finisher behind the L.O.S.

Greene wasn't the fastest OLB out there. He wasn't the most athletic. Or the quickest. He didn't have the greatest overall pass rushing moves either. But he was hungry. And smart. He said himself that football is a simple game. He stated it's all about one on one matchups. And beating/dominating your opponent. I personally feel like adding this man within our Franchise is a culture change into the right dirrection. Especially on Defense.

He's the type of former pass rushing great in which i want working with our younger OLB's. If neither of Mauldin or Jenkins work out. Not a big deal. He's still the type of former sack artist in which i want in our Front Office ears when it's time to draft our pass rushing OLB prospect during the 1st round. I want his input. And just like with Clay Matthews; i want Kevin Greene with that kid every step of the way.

Lets be honest and truthful. J.Abe was our last outside pass rushing force we've seen as a fan base.

What do we have to lose by having the NFL's 3rd All-Time leader in sacks leader develop our young OLB's? I can't think of anything.

But we could have a lot to gain by having Greene work with Mauldin/Jenkins along with our future top rated pass rushing prospects coming out within the near future.

If one of either Petty or Hack impress, what if during next years draft we land a highly rated pass rushing OLB during the 1st round, to go along with a young group of core defensive players in Leonard Williams, Darron Lee, Marcus Maye & Jamal Adams?

How could you not want Kevin Greene working with a kid like that on a daily basis at the OLB position? Especially that kid out of LSU. Good lord.

#25 DefenseWinsChampionships, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 30, 2017
  6. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Bowles is a terrible head coach and leader according to most of you. How the hell did he get Greene to come out of retirement?

7. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

He probably told him he has a really good chance at being his successor in '18.

8. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Yeah. He was a great player. Too bad he didn't play for us.

9. Walt White

He has a lot of work to do to get Mauldin on track

10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Why would anybody want to live in your reality, it stinks, if you want to get your jollies from being a negative shit then good luck to you. Support one side fuck me, it was about ah forget it it is pointless really.

11. Ralebird

Swell. So if the Jets have, or get, a Matthews-in-the-bud there is a chance that he may someday be coached into a Hall of Famer.

My life as a Jets fan has been changed forever

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I'd give it a little more thought if this posting [or your other postings in this thread for that matter] included [any evidence-based reasoning], which it does not.

In 2009, he took over Green Bay as the LB coach. GB finished 11th in total sacks, with Clay Matthews rising as one of the most prolific pass rushers for years to come. [That total was 37.]

In 2010, that improved to #2 in the league at 47. They falter quite a bit in 2011 at 29, then rebound with 47. [#4 in the league.] They were at #8 with 44 in 2013 and #9 in 2014, his last year at GB.

While giving all the credit to Greene would be outrageous, [legitimizing his ability] is a High-quality, grade-A, prime-cut, pure BULLSHIT. [And other than 2011, GB defense rarely allowed QB ratings higher than 80, usually in the low 60's.]

You don't have to like him - who cares about that? - but treating this guy like he knows nothing about coaching LB is more than stupid. It's not even like we don't have the means to look up. All the data are out there for everyone to see.

#32 Zach, May 30, 2017
  13. Ralebird

Reality is reality. Maybe the stars in your eyes are blocking your ability to see what I wrote; you need to go back and read it again - then get someone to explain it to you because you obviously have a reading comprehension problem. Just because I won't fawn all over a guy before he has done a thing to help this team does not make me negative and you can't quote a single negative thought from me anywhere on this thread.

On the other hand, those of you who throw caution to the winds and let your wishful thinking take over their thought process are doomed to a life of disappointment with the occasional lucky nugget to keep you going down that yellow brick road.

14. Walt White

Just keepin' it real for y'all yo. That's all.

K'OB likes this.
  15. DefenseWinsChampionships

Are you always a hinsight 20/20 type of person in regards to sports, or is it that you can not appreciate a good move when you see one?

If the Jets were to land either of Julio Jones as a player or Pete Carroll as head coach tomorrow, would you still not consider that as being a good move... all because they've "yet to do anything as a Jet"?

I have a couple of questions for you.

• 1.) What's not to like about a former pass rushing great in Kevin Greene working with our younger OLB's on a daily basis? Please. Tell me (in detail).

• 2.) Was J.Abe not our last impactful outside pass rusher in which we've seen as a fan base? If not. Then who?

• 3.) Outside of Bruce Smith and Reggie White... who else was better at pass rushing the QB from the outside other than that of Kevin Greene?

• 4.) Did Clay Matthews not only have 5.5 sacks during his 4 year college career with USC... before then flourishing as an NFL sack artist under Greene as his OLB coach?

• 5.) What's not to like about a HOF great coaching up and tapping into untapped potential while working with our OLB's... on a daily basis?

But hey. I guess we all look at the game of football (and life) a little differently.

16. Ralebird

You're right. You let your imagination run wild and I take a "wait and see" attitude. There's no hurry to make wild predictions.

And as to your questions at the top: I'd wonder why Jones was suddenly available and if injuries had anything to do with it, he does have a history of leg and foot problems and he is 28 or 29, right? And then there's the question of who could throw the ball to him.

And I'm still pissed that the Jets got rid of Carroll way too soon the first time.

Now I've got a couple of questions for you: Do you leave a game in the beginning of the fourth quarter if the Jets are leading by 20? Do you leave then if they are trailing by 20? If you're so sure of every outcome why not beat the traffic?

Why the need for a rush to judgement? What makes you so sure hiring Greene will make any significant improvement? Don't you think it might be a good idea to curb your enthusiasm, or at least articulate it as wishing and hoping rather than a sure thing?

This is the NFL - there are no sure things.

#36 Ralebird, May 30, 2017
  17. DefenseWinsChampionships

When speaking of Kevin Greene you seem to ignore the fact that he ranks #3 in career NFL sacks. He's one of the greatest pass rushing LB's in NFL history. Which is why they've put together a "Football Life" film based off of Kevin Greene himself (to begin with).

How could you not dream of a former NFL pass rushing great such as Greene tapping into the potential, working with & coaching up our current (and/or future) OLB's on a daily basis?

What part of Clay Matthews only having 5.5 college sacks during a 4 year college career before then exploding onto the NFL scene as a pass rushing monster (under Kevin Greene) don't you understand? Have you not seen the types of high praise that Clay Matthews has given coach Greene? Because i have.

This man knows the game of football. Only Bruce Smith & Reggie White has done it better as NFL pass rushers. He knows how to beat opposing OT's one on one before making a living off of NFL QB's. How could you not get excited about sharing his knowledge and pass rushing insight with our current and/or future OLB prospects?

I. Just. Don't. Get it.

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

He's just saying, Kevin Greene hasn't done anything for the Jets yet.

Yes, if he happened to be Cowboys fan during the early 90's, he'd have run Troy Aikman out of the town by year 2.

19. Ralebird

No. I don't get it, unless you know about some process to transplant Kevin Greene's DNA into some guy wearing a Jets uniform. Until then you can follow the stars in your eyes and I'll follow the New York Fucking Jets.

20. DefenseWinsChampionships

So.

Are you saying that an NFL coach must "transplant their DNA into players" in order to impact a team and/or improve players abilities?

Or.

Are you just saying that coaches and coaching is no longer important?

Which one is it? Because wow. You lost me there.

No. Kevin Greene was not able to import and/or transplant his DNA into Clay Matthews in a Packers uniform.

But what Greene was able to do with Matthews was (see below).

A.) Coach him up starting from his rookie season.

B.) Work with him throughout and during every practice at OLB.

C.) Tap into his potential.

D.) Teach and show him the art of pass rushing.

E.) Watched Clay Matthews turn into an NFL pass rushing nightmare.

• Clay Matthews (only) combined for 5.5 sacks during his 4 year college career with USC.

• Clay Matthews went on to combine for 50 sacks (including 7.5 postseason sacks) during his first 4 NFL years (under Kevin Greene) while with Green Bay.

So. This means that Clay Matthews averaged only 1.37 sacks per year during his 4 year career (without Kevin Greene's coaching at USC) compared to 12.5 sacks per season during his first 4 years (under Kevin Greene's coaching) with Green Bay.

For a matter of fact. Clay Matthews under Kevin Greene's coaching at OLB put up 10 sacks as an NFL rookie when compared to only 5.5 career sacks after 4 years with USC.

Was Matthews given Greene's DNA? Nope. But he damn sure flourished, broke-out & emerged as a pass rushing animal (while under Greene's coaching).

And that's the type of coaches that I'm looking for. The types where young players respond to & emerge under. And guess what? Matthews responded to Greene's coaching.