Christopher Nolan's next film - DUNKIRK (WW2 film)

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Poeman, Aug 5, 2016.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

^'Spiderman'. My biggest gripe with comic book characters is why didn't they all just fly over there with their super powers and kill Hitler? It's a tremendous art form (comic books themselves), untold and unfathomable artistic respect; but I generally avoid these films. THEY BORE ME. I was forced to sit through a few in my time and it was like Chinese water torture. Or, perhaps my penance for living.

'Wonder Woman' was OK, but it's still kind of the same shit. Feminists were complaining that she was still an object. No-one is ever happy. My thought, from the land of the lezzies, she still knew the world of men and explained her knowledge on a boat. She still figured out how to give a BJ and therefore enjoyed wondrous dikk with her lariat in repose with a fire flickering and the snow gently falling outside. If she just would've said that she left the Island of Lesbos for cokk, I would've liked it more. 'Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill!', far superior.

#21 jetophile, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  2. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Just got home from seeing Dunkirk. I profess I don't know tons about the event as American history classes usually start WWII history with Normandy for the European front and Pearl Harbor for the Pacific theater. I was lucky enough to have a good teacher in high school who also taught about North Africa campaign and the invasion of Italy (she liked my paper on Erwin Rommel so she must be cool). Other than what I've read on Wiki and learning some ship names from this week's Operation of the Week from World of Warships, I went into the movie just knowing the general idea of what happened.

Nolan did a great job with this. It's almost like a history lesson without being stuck in class.

As far as that goes, I thought she started as an empowering character at first, but in the end, it's all about the guy anyway. You just can't have a major female character in a Hollywood movie without it being about her falling in love with a man.

NYJetsO12 and The Dark Knight like this.
  3. jetophile

I'll tell ya why I hate this Super Hero thing. Why don't they have 'Period Woman'? What's up with that? Hear me out. A true heroine. A heroine who just won't go through menopause because nature hates her guts takes down a male dominated feminine hygiene industry. She hurls blood clots at North Korea like grenades, lines up full menstrual cups around the world, and catapults them against rapists and assholes.

The main characters are Extreme Anemia, Endometriosis, Menorrhagia, B-12 Shots, D&C, Heating Pad, Sulky, Ashen, and FUKK OFF. I'm staying away from degrading pussy names, too trite. Copyrighted already.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  4. Greenday4537

I don't know how to even respond from to that. Jesus.

The Dark Knight and Cman68 like this.
  5. jetophile

Yeah, I guess I'll have to shop that screenplay somewhere else. Gotta say, John Waters is mighty interested, though.

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Back on topic:

Dunkirk was amazing. Another top of the line Christopher Nolan film.

Non stop, high speed, pace from beginning to end. I plan on seeing it again as I did not get to see it in IMAX.

7. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Great film. Only gripe might be the cutting between timelines. I can see why he did it, but going from night torpedo sinking to daytime spitfire and then back was a bit confusing, didn't mind it so much later. Tension was intense though. Nolan sure knows how to make movies.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I didn't think it was all that good.

Visually it was very good I'll give them that but the structure and storytelling was a disappointment in my opinion. Without trying to ruin the movie for others I'll just say I was pretty amazed that they somehow managed to make such an extraordinary historical event like the Battle of Dunkirk seem rather ordinary... Idk, maybe I need to see it again

#28 BrowningNagle, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Poeman likes this.
  9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I am willing to wait until [Director's Cut] emerges.

I still remember how disastrous Kingdom of Heaven was - until I got the Director's Cut. If it seems ordinary [which I doubt it] then maybe it's the running time. They need to fit the time slot in the theatres as well.

10. Greenday4537

I mean, what were you expecting? Ridiculous, factitious battles?

11. BrowningNagle

that's what you got from my post? because that's not at all what I was saying

12. The Dark Knight

Christopher Nolan films ARE the director's cuts. That is how he rolls.
    I definitely want to see it again. Everyone has their own opinion though. It is a unique war film. I don't know what you mean by making it seem ordinary. It was intense from beginning to end and I had never seen a battle like that, pretty much the opposite of ordinary.
    Yeah, I think watching the film a second time, that won't be an issue for you anymore.

13. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I did not like the film...As a WW2 aficiando and someonw who admires Nolans films this was a disjointed film that focused on just a evacuation sequence. There was no buildup and felt cluttered with the Tom Hardy scenes.

I really cared for no one in the movie...War for the Planet of the Apes is still the best movie of the summer

Walt White likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

Agree completely. I haven't seen apes though

15. The Dark Knight

You are saying that as if that was Nolan's plan and he failed to execute it. That is not the case. He drops you into the battle, it's intense, then it ends. It was done that way on purpose. He loves pushing the envelope and trying new things. That is what Dunkirk is. I loved it and enjoyed it even more the 2nd time in IMAX.

As for War for the Planet of the Apes, kind of tough to compare them as they are so different, but definitely my two favorites of the year.

16. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I thought it was excellent. Very harrowing and tense, obviously, but no gratuitous gore and violence. One thing I always lament about British films is the accents are often enough inscrutable and you miss some dialogue. I'd love to see it again with subtitles.

Another great, but very, very different, British military flick I'd recommend is "71". That one is pure fiction, and more of a conventional narrative, but it is also harrowing.

17. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I always like to watch with subtitles when possible not to miss anything. Have caught some great foreign flicks by using that tool, can't watch dubbed flicks.
    I'll watch for '71, looks good.

The Siege At Jadotville
    on NF isn't bad. Based on a little known historical event that also led to the death UN Secretary-General Dag Hammarskjöld. Prolly not on the scale of the ones mentioned but not bad.
    Just got Stalingrad from '93, from the director of Das Boot. Saw it when it came out, and haven't watched since.

#37 Walt White, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  18. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Meh...I was letdown. It was nothing special.

19. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

On a related note...I saw Hans Zimmer perform at Radio City this week. Amazing and absolutely incredible music as Nolanites know.

Dunkirks bright spot was the Hans score too

BrowningNagle likes this.
  20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Perfect film for those kids who were charged with failure to report a distressed person and accessory when they laughed at some poor guy drowning (don't have the link but was in the news)

All teens should see a film without a Marvel superhero....just ordinary folks saving others

The Dark Knight and Dierking like this.