Welcome to the Jets Olumuyiwa Anthony Fashanu (OT)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 25, 2024.

1. Yankee6

Yankee6 Well-Known Member

I know nothing about drafting linemean, but I hope this is not like 2020 when we should have drafted the guy picked after us. Wirfs instead of Becton and this year Fuaga instead of Fashanu

stinkyB likes this.
  2. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I don’t care about the coach. Yes he has room to improve. You build a line. You don’t draft players for immediate need. If we have a good season this year we will be drafting much later. We’re much more likely to find a quality TE then than we would an OL. It’s a smart pick, period. You can use your same logic on Bowers, you expect Hackett to have anything clever for him?

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I love this kid! I hadn't seen this video before. I had loved him as a YAC beast, but he sounds like a mature, smart young man with his head on straight. He wants to be great and it sounds like he is going to work to develop.

#183 NCJetsfan, Apr 26, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
    sozopol likes this.
  4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Bowers is somewhere else. No reason to discuss him. I have no reason here to talk about what might have been or what might be a year from now or anyone's theory on building a team or unit.

The Jets used their first pick on Fashanu. The Jets also do not seem to have a coach available to get him ready to play in the NFL. I care about that even if you don't.

5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think he will play the equivalent of this much. Moses only missed a few games last year, but he actually had to come out of a lot of games. Remember how Duane was considered to be iron man. When he came to the Jets he was always hurt. Father time is undefeated. And our 33 year old OTs are already showing signs of breaking down. Even Mosley, who like Duane, was never hurt, had a surgery this offseason and played hurt last year.

Think about this. You are a realist. Go back last 3 years.

2021. Becton and Fant were projected starters. Moses OT3. And yet it was OT3 Moses who ended up playing every game. And Fant got hurt too at the end of 2022, so we needed OT4 to play, and had we made play-offs OT4 would start in play-offs.
    2022. Becton and Fant were projected starters again. Both got hurt. We had OT3 Duane and OT4 Max playing all year. Frankly Duane missed a lot of games too and played hurt. Max got hurt, We used OT5 and OT6, and had we had to go into play-offs that's who would start.
    2023. Becton and Duane projected starters. OT3 Max ended up starter. Injuries everywhere again. We used again OT6 and would go to play-offs with OT4.

How can we forget all this and go into the season with a crappy OT3? It would be moronic to do so. I mean do we make the same mistake again and again and again? The only time we had decent OTs was when we had a good OT3 in 2021. And even then would have needed OT4 for play-offs. I don't wish any injuries, but I am pretty certain Olu will play and he will play a lot. And if he does not, we are extremely lucky. That would be a bonus, but not something that we can afford to assume.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don’t like the player but I’m fine with the positional pick based on the fact that we have no tackles on the roster next year.

But you keep going to this asinine argument that we need to use a top ten (eleven) pick so we have a good backup tackle simply because we’ve had injury problems at the position.

It’s so ridiculous.

dawinner127 and abyzmul like this.
  7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Your statement above is simply absurd. "Simply because we had injury problems." Other than that Mrs Lincoln, how was the play? For 3 years in a row we needed at least OT3 to be a major player and would have needed OT3 to start most of the season and play-offs, had we made it. Plus who said it was the ONLY reason to draft OT at 10? We have a LT of the future too. We got a LT for present AND future. That is worth #10.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You really don't get it. Kind of sad

9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Still upset about Bowers? Kind of sad.

10. abyzmul

I just saw a BK commercial where the actor had smaller than normal hands, and he was eating one of their weak little burgers. Olu could have a future there if football doesn't work out.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Having all year to learn from and play behind Smith, an all-pro and hall-of-fame tackle, should be plenty to get Fashanu ready to play in the NFL.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. abyzmul

13. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

That commercial has to be almost 10 years old.

Edit: it's 14 years old.

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Or maybe he could run for President and Rodgers could be his VP Candidate.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Here’s the actual clip. Boy does she hate her.

https://x.com/_MLFootball/status/1783690441050743026

16. abyzmul

It was actually a regular commercial with some blonde guy picking up a burger. I don't think they even want you to notice he had small hands. It was on during the draft.

17. abyzmul

18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Ideally, Smith is a valuable resource for Fashanu; in realty he is a coworker competing for the same job. Successful NFL teams hire coaches to improve player performance rather than rely on an unspoken apprenticeship system.

19. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

NY Jets68 and BrowningNagle like this.
  20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

8.5 - this is Kenny Pickett level. Though Kenny didn't really have an issue with fumbling, just sucked as a QB in general. For OL small hands are not ideal, but does not matter as much. It's not like a QB where you have to grip the ball. Or even catch the ball as a WR. Here you just have to grab a uni of a defender. Again not amazing, but doesn't really take off many points either. Let's hope Olu has a really strong grip!

Btw, today JD had a great interview at ESPN 98.7. Confirmed that Olu will practice at LT and also RT. Doesn't sound like he will play guard at all, which I think is the right move. Let him focus and develop in one position.

NCJetsfan likes this.