Developmental QB?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by ukjetsfan, Apr 22, 2024.

1. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Now Zach has gone, would any of our draft experts care to offer a few potential names for a late-round QB selection? I think I would like to see a rookie brought in, maybe even with the sixth rounder we are getting from Denver. That would be poetic.

2. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I've read they've had pre-draft visits with Michael Pratt and Jordan Travis. Pratt might be a 4th round target and Travis maybe 4th or 6th. It sounds very likely they're targeting a Day 3 QB. I'd like to see a Day 3 QB and then a UDFA QB, which is even more of a longshot but worth a "swing"

Jojo and ukjetsfan like this.
  3. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Pratt will be better than Zach Wilson on day 1.

Checks most of the boxes - Bill Parcells rules for drafting a quarterback:
    • Be a three-year starter (was a 4 year)
    • Be a senior in college
    • Graduate from college
    • Start 30 games
    • Win 23 games
    • Post a 2-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio
    • Complete at least 60% of passes thrown

mezzavo, Centiment and ukjetsfan like this.
  4. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

First person to utter the name Joe Milton and post about his godlike arm strength gets a flaming bag of dog shit left at their front door.

mezzavo, sozopol, NCJetsfan and 4 others like this.
  5. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

@Jonathan_Vilma mentioned Pratt on here probably 6 months ago or so.

Looks like the Jets have ties to him and have done some serious work on him. Hopefully he's the guy

mezzavo, ukjetsfan and REVISion like this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I want Rattler, I don’t like Pratt that much

Joe Milton has great arm strength, almost like that of a deity ;)

themorey and Sundayjack like this.
  7. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

After Pratt, the Qb position is slim pickings as far as draftable prospects.

One guy I like and see a bit of Chad Pennington / Brock Purdy is Austin Reed. If he's around with the last pick of the draft... why not...

mezzavo likes this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I still feel like Bo Nix and McCarthy fall into this category and just don’t get why they’re so highly rated.

I like Pratt but I think his ceiling is game manager in a run heavy offense.

Nagle might have the real prize of Rattler ends up in the right place. He was the Heisman favorite heading in the 2021 year and has an above average NFL release and arm strength.
    I feel like these G5 QB’s that throw a million passes in the air raid will always find a place in the league as a decent enough backup because they can run an offense as good as anyone else despite potential limitations.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Rattler reminds me of Tyrod Taylor in his early years, really elusive and wins broken plays. I would take him as a developmental prospect, he probably has an enormous chip on his shoulder.

I might start saying Thyroid Taylor so I don't have to change autocorrect.

10. Sundayjack

Spencer Rattler, I'll go there. Timely thread cross-over topic, because I just finished typing a bunch of messageboard diarrhea about how we should believe these kids when they show us who they are in college. Probably applies to Rattler more than any other QB this draft. If someone on here were screeching about Spencer Rattler. . . Senior Bowl MVP. . . rocket arm. . . blah blah blah, I'd say: Sure, as a developmental guy, and not before the fourth round. Key word there being "developmental". Two moderately successful and fairly stable years at South Carolina isn't enough to convince me that he's no longer the immature puss who got suspended and couldn't finish his senior season in high school, came in with HUGE hype, then played like a spaz and sulked like a little girl when he was benched for the guy who'd eventually be the Heisman Award winning, first pick in the NFL draft. I'd be willing to take a fourth round flyer that he's grown up and might be willing to put in the work. He had moments at USC(east).

11. BrowningNagle

that’s all fair, he was THE leader at South Carolina though and appears to have grown up some

I worry about his height, he is short. I worry about his ability to see and process the whole field. But these are as long term starter

I think Rattler is an ideal NFL backup. He is very tough, has a quick release and has creativity to his game. Byz compared him to Tyrod Taylor, that’s actually a very good comparison IMO. I think he can be better though!

#11 BrowningNagle, Apr 24, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
  12. Sundayjack

Ever catch the Netflix series, QB1: Beyond the Lights? I haven’t but wanted to. At least until all the fawning over star high school athletes makes me puke. Supposedly ran for a few years but I don’t see it on Netflix anymore. Rattler is one of the featured QBs. I’d still like to see the
    season with him just to see if there’s even a hint at what he did to get suspended his senior season. Doubt it. Somehow they’ve kept that under lock and key. Wasn’t a small penalty, and all anyone ever said about it was - it’s wasn’t drugs or grades and Lincoln Riley didn’t care. Kinda makes you wonder the possibilities.

13. BrowningNagle

No I havent seen that but I heard it was good

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The next big item in that chain would probably be women.

15. Sundayjack

Has to be. Really aren't any other good options. I thought about hazing, but Rattler was the only guy suspended and that usually nabs more.

16. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Reading through Reddit, apparently it was pretty common knowledge at Oklahoma that the incident involved:
    1. Getting caught with his pants down... literally. He was getting a bj in the restroom.
    2. Also had a weed pen in his pocket at the time they were caught.

#16 Trainer, Apr 24, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
    Sundayjack likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't care for Reed at all. A huge percentage of his passes were thrown at or behind the LOS. I'd have to see him make every throw to think he was a worthwhile prospect.

18. Sundayjack

Well, now, if that's true his suspension was totally unfair. I mean, when you break it down, HE wasn't doing anything.

19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

That's what she said.

(Assuming, of course, the BJer was a she.)

20. Sundayjack

Some might knock you for limiting the options by like a thousand.