Vinyl is still king!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Polk speakers are under-rated.

I've got a small pair of bookshelf Polks in my office that sound great.
    The tweeter is the same one found in speakers costing thousands more.

stinkyB and Royal Tee like this.
  2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I'm looking to replace my 22 year old front tower speakers. I've already replaced the rears and the subwoofer with Klipsch. I'd like to match those and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with their floor standing speakers. I was looking at the RF-6000F II or the RF-8000F II. The ones with the Dolby Atmos are little too pricey for me. Any thoughts?

3. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I used to work at the wiz and sell Audio Gear.
    I also produce music.
    I still have my Polk HT setup from 1998-ish...
    idk if they still have the same quality but they definitely were underrated...

4. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Picked up another big batch of vinyl, only about 10 keepers out of about 150, but it was free so can't complain. Now have to find someone that wants the likes of Knuckles O'Toole Plays Honky Tonk albums

stinkyB likes this.
  5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

after I tossed most of my shit after Hurricane matthew flood, Polk had a "pre black friday" sale (was like half price or less).... treated myself to 2 floor speakers, a sub and center channel. Their mid-grade stuff, but jams plenty in my small house, especially for the price :cool:

Acad23 likes this.
  6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Nice... may there be no flooding in the near future.

Western Electric is back producing tubes & other gear.

stinkyB likes this.
  7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Cman68 likes this.
  8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Every time I see this heading I think somebody is shilling for crappy house siding.

Royal Tee likes this.
  9. The Waterboy

I just picked up another bunch of vinyl at some yard sales today, spent $11 for 17 albums and almost all mint. Had original pressing of Purple Rain and first US release of George Harrison All Things Must Pass, both of those had the original posters in them also. 6 of the 17 will be going straight to the don't want pile, but just the Prince and Harrison discs made it a very good morning.

Actually already had copies of both those but at 50 cents a piece there was no way I was passing them up.

ouchy likes this.
  10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm really surprised there isn't some enterprising opportunistic door to door service that picks up stuff like this within the day for no charge. Another person mentioned in that Seniors thread about how much of an old person's valuables are tossed in the trash or outright destroyed to get rid of it and move their loved one into a care facility. With the boomers going right now, I would think someone could make a killing in vinyl alone. I personally donated a baby grand piano and also watched those We Got Junk guys turn a beautiful tall oak dining room set into splinters. There's a lot of money not being found.

Yeah I know Salvation Army and Goodwill pick stuff up in some places but it's a pain in the ass to deal with, their scheduling sucks.

#50 abyzmul, May 18, 2024
    Last edited: May 18, 2024
  11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

There was a Seinfeld episode where Kramer & Newman were selling records that they got from seniors...

12. The Waterboy

When I was looking for houses to fix up I'd look for hoarder houses and others that are leaving belongings, I did really well on one of those. Besides getting it at 65% of appraised value I made about $10K off stuff sold out of it and still have quite a few of the tools and collectibles that were left. Getting rid of about 200 dolls and 200 "collectible" plates took a while though. Others I have made a bit of extra money but not too much. Now that I am mostly listing and selling houses, I'll get a bit out of them but the sellers kids have been scooping up the vinyls and guns before I get in there, limiting the good stuff I get.

I also do keep an eye out for people getting rid of their junk but don't advertise it as a service. Way too many people down here with worthless crap and I think the time to go check them all, to find ones with items of value would not be worth it unless you focus on only high end neighborhoods. Problem with that is the estate sale companies have a lot of those areas locked down.

I do have one place I'm closing on next week that has a gun safe in it and there were 2 rifle bags down the side of the closet, so hoping it is still in there Wednesday when I close. The safe alone is worth about a grand, and hoping I get a good hunting rifle out of it. The sellers agent only called me to make sure I wasn't expecting them to leave the one bedroom set that was still there, but hadn't mentioned the safe.

Edit: I sold a used, kinda grimey, CPAP machine a couple of weeks ago for $140, and the guy drove almost 2 hours to pick it up.

#52 The Waterboy, May 19, 2024
    Last edited: May 19, 2024
    abyzmul likes this.
  13. The Waterboy

When I go looking for vinyls I have to make sure I get across to them that I am looking for records for my own listening pleasure, even though I do sell a bunch. If they think I'm going to resell them, it seems the price goes from 50 cents to $1 each, straight on up to $5-$10

Acad23 likes this.
  14. The Waterboy

One bonus of selling a bunch of, many times, lower priced stuff on FB Marketplace, is I don't have to worry about old acquaintances trying to hit me up for money. I'm always getting messages asking how I am doing, I think they figure I'm trying to make rent money selling my stuff.

15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Flaming pants!

16. The Waterboy

Not at all, when I am looking, it is for for vinyl that I'll listen to, the fact I often get many others that I don't listen to and end up selling is just a bonus.
    I am also helping them out by taking records they don't want off their hands, just at a fair price. I then distribute those records to others in need, like a Robin Hood of vinyl, only I make money off of it.

Acad23 likes this.