Mock Draft 2.0 2-23-18

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, Mar 23, 2018.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

now with the big wave of free agents out of the way, time to make a mock draft.

Positions I believe we will address
    QB (has to be our 1st pick)
    OLB (pass rusher)
    TE (lack of talent at that position)
    O-line (needs improvement)
    D-line (ealy not resigned, wilk gone, need a DE)

Positions we won't address
    WR (we already have 7 on the roster, most young, and 2 of them were mid round picks from 2017)
    RB (maguire looked good and we just signed crowell and still have powell)
    CB (big contract to johnson, brought back claiborne, still have skrine, plus 2 young CBs form last years draft)
    S (our 1st 2 picks last year in the draft)
    K and P (obviously)
    ILB (added a young Lber and have lee still)

Mock draft 2.0 03-23-18
    Round (pick)

1(3) QB Rosen/Allen
    A lot of this is going to depends what happens with the 2 pick. I think it's a forgone conclusion darnold is the 1st overall pick in the draft. at number 2 however the giants could take rosen, or trade back to a team wanting rosen. If this happens I believe the jets take allen. I think mac is higher on him then the other 2 in the top 5 (mayfield and jackson) and he seems more like a mac type of QB. If the giants opt to take a different player and not trade (chubb, barkely, nelson, fitzpatrick) the jets will take rosen.

3(72) OT Brian O-Niell
    by this time all of the top players are gone, but adding a young tackle to protect our QB will be pretty important. O'Niell is a tall but skinny (for a LT) prospect similar to what brick was for us. he'll need to put on some weight. He's listed at 6'7" 305lbs. he's very athletic but needs to add muscle and strength. in a year or 2 he can replace beechum if we develop him properly.

4(107) DE Marcell Frazier (will move to OLB in our 3-4)
    A pass rushing OLB for the jets. High motor guy. 6' 5" 255 size and good skill level, helps make up for his lack of pure athleticism. he has a good variety of pass rush moves. Will likely never be an every down LBer but can be used as a situational pas rusher which we badly need.

5(157) TE Tyler Conklin
    A good size TE with speed. 6'3" 254 lbs with a 4.8 40 yard dash. His hands are incosistent, but he's also made some really good catches. Tough player who will make catches over the middle and take the hit. A former basketball player who also shows some blocking ability as well. His stock dropped because in 2017 he missed the first 5 games of the year with an injury and didn't look fully healed after. Once he gets back to his normal ability and with some coaching he could be a steal

6(179) DT Folorunso Fatukasi (will play DE for us)
    a 6'4 300+ lb DT in college, has the size and strength you'd like to see from a DE in the 3-4 and could shift in at DT in nickel and dime packages. He's not much of a pass rusher, but his strength is impressive as an immovable object who can take on multiple blockers. possibly be a snacks type player for us.

7(235) G K.J. Malone
    A project guard with NFL size but lacks balance and technique. likely a career backup of he makes it in the NFL at all, but in the 7th round that's all you can find anyway. Never a bad idea to take some more chances on o-line to delevop

Not a lot of flair or highlight positions, but fills out our needs as best we can with the picks

Mock Draft Version B. wishful thinking

1(2) QB Darnold
    I call it wishfull thinking for a reason. In this version the browns go with allen 1st overall. The jets call up the giants to move up to 2nd overall. We give up our 3rd and 4th rounders this year, as well as our 3rd rounder next year (around 2650 points to get the 2nd pick worth 2600 points) The giants take it knowing they can still draft barkley since the jets want a QB and land the best player in the draft as well as 3 more picks. The jets now are out of 2nd and 3rd rounders for this draft and next years draft, but it won't matter because we didn't "suck enough for sam" but still landed him anyway getting our FQB and making it all worth while

5(157) DE Marcel Frazier
    A big college DE who would project as an OLB in our 3-4 defense. at 6'5 255lbs he's perfectly suited to play the role of a situational pass rusher. not likely an everydown backer, but he's a high motor guy with all the intangibles you want. A fluid pass rusher with a nice variety of moves and plays like a rabbit on crack. Also had great college production as well with 7 sacks, 15.5 TFL, and 5 pass break ups. could see work as a rookie on pass rushing downs

6(179) OT Jaryd Jones-Smith
    An interesting prospect since nobody really knows where he will line up in the NFL. Could be a LT, a RT, a Swing T, or even a guard. A big bodied lineman at 6'6" 320 lbs he's shown a good ability to use his long arms and protect against the pass rush, but hasn't shown the strength and athletic ability as a valid run blocker. still with some added weight and strength training and coaching, he could develop into a future LT for us protecting darnolds blindside in a few years or at worst, provide good depth as a swing tackle for depth against injury to the starters. it's the 6th round so you can't expect an all star

7(235) DT Taylor Stallworth
    this 6'2 305lb DT would play DE for us in the 3-4. he lacks the size and strength for the interior but as a DE could eat up double teams and stuff the run. not much of a pass rusher but in the 3-4 defense your d-line is just supposed to eat blocks for the LBers to make play.

UDFA targets

TE Jordan Thomas
    A physical freak with rare size and speed who played college basketball and took reps at DE and OT as well,could be molded into something useful as you cna't teach size and speed. no college production however, poor route running, and lack of natural ball skills makes him undraftable .

TE Ethan Wolf
    a 6'6" 258lb TE with good hands and ball skills and decent college production who needs to work on route running, using his body, and not playing so passive. Effort is inconsistent especially as a blocker. but at this point we are throwing darts anyway

Updated Version C

since many are not on board with giving away more picks (which i understand for sure) and since we added walford at TE, this is the version C now

1(3) QB Rosen
    In this version, browns take allen 1st overall. Darnold goes 2nd overall to either the giants or a trade out. The jets then take rosen without giving up more picks and he can challenge teddy and josh for the job as a rookie.

3(72) OT Brian O-Niell
    by this time all of the top players are gone, but adding a young tackle to protect our QB will be pretty important. O'Niell is a tall but skinny (for a LT) prospect similar to what brick was for us. he'll need to put on some weight. He's listed at 6'7" 305lbs. he's very athletic but needs to add muscle and strength. in a year or 2 he can replace beechum if we develop him properly.

4(107) CB Greg Stroman
    I know I said we wouldn't address CB in the draft, but that's not what this is about. Stroman was one of the top punt returners in college with an 11.3 average and 2 TDs. Bowles also loves his DBs and adding depth is never a bad thing. outside of our top 3 (and claiborne and/or skrine could be gone in 2019) we just have a bunch of potential and not much solid. we also lack a returner even though we signed Roberts. Adding stroman would give us our starting PR/KR as well as extra depth at CB. he'll likely never start at CB but could carve out a roll as a nickel/dime CB and special teamer

5(157) DE Marcell Frazier (will move to OLB in our 3-4)
    A pass rushing OLB for the jets. High motor guy. 6' 5" 255 size and good skill level, helps make up for his lack of pure athleticism. he has a good variety of pass rush moves. Will likely never be an every down LBer but can be used as a situational pas rusher which we badly need.

6(179) DT Folorunso Fatukasi (will play DE for us)
    a 6'4 300+ lb DT in college, has the size and strength you'd like to see from a DE in the 3-4 and could shift in at DT in nickel and dime packages. He's not much of a pass rusher, but his strength is impressive as an immovable object who can take on multiple blockers. possibly be a snacks type player for us.

7(235) G K.J. Malone
    A project guard with NFL size but lacks balance and technique. likely a career backup of he makes it in the NFL at all, but in the 7th round that's all you can find anyway. Never a bad idea to take some more chances on o-line to delevop

#1 GasedAndConfused, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  2. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I think that we could get Bradley Bozeman from Bama in the 5/6th round - 2nd Team All American at Centre and can play all along the O/line.

Started for 2 full years at Bama, so he must be able to play to even get into that team. Back-up at worst and could make the starting line-up.

3. NJJets20

NJJets20 Active Member

Bradford is the #1 pick? Have we went back in time?

For real though, if Darnold and Rosen are off the board, the jets need to go Mayfield at 3 without any hesitation.

NCJetsfan and HAYN like this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

LMAO fixed it.

and no baker is overhyped by a few people on this forum, he's not gong to be a good QB. drafting mayfield means the jets will basically suck until at minimum 2023

5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I still think RB will be an option this draft and very well could be BPA with the 3rd rd pick. If a guy like Penny makes it to our pick in 3rd rd he should and very well could be the pick.

6. GasedAndConfused

RBs are way too easy to find when you need them and can often start from day 1. Since we just signed crowell, and drafted maguire and have powell i don't see an immediate need at all personally. and i don't see us carrying 4 RBs meaning drafting one now, will bump maguire off the roster. I think we an wait it out. it's not like powell is a scrub either. maguire has looked solid, and crowell is a decent short yardage guy.

7. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Powell would prob get cut

8. GasedAndConfused

makes no sense at all to cut him though

9. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

What would be interesting to hear is Josh McCown's opinion about who we should draft - position wise.

He is the one that played all last season behind our O/Line and I would be very interested to hear whether he thinks we should upgrade the O/Line first or take a R/B or W/R or even a T/E.

10. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

Come 5th round, if Shaquem is on the board still, im taking him. At the very least dude would galvanize our locker room tremendously. If we didn't trade away two 2nds, I would say take him in the 4th (although Im not opposed to it). Im not a sucker for feel good stories but this kid is special. If you're not inspired and work your but off playing alongside him, you should be cut. Not to mention, he can play. He was immensely productive in college. Can't imagine he isn't AT LEAST special teams worthy

11. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Nice mock

12. GasedAndConfused

thanks

13. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

That would be nice if he fell, but I see the potential of a team that wants to seem generous reaching for him early as round 3. It's like the feel good story of the draft. He would be a steal in the 5th round. I would take that any day.

14. GasedAndConfused

Added a version B to the OP

15. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

Would you take him in the 4th?

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

After signing Crowell and Rawls, and especially with both being young, I don't see that at all. I don't like it, but I don't think Mac is even considering taking a RB.

17. GasedAndConfused

added in version C now

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

While I like the idea of adding a player at another position other than WR who can be the return man, and wouldn't be opposed to drafting him, the Jets currently have 6 returners on their roster. Brisly Estime led the NCAA a couple of years ago, but was injured last season. I think he has an excellent job to win the returner job.

If he's there in the 3rd round, the Jets could also draft Rashaard Penny, RB, who is also a great returner.

One way or the other, that needs to get fixed this year, and I'd rather it be Estime, a rookie, or one of the other younger returners on their roster and not Roberts. His numbers are pedestrian. I still can't figure out why they even signed him.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

a fresh body and competition most likely? never hurts to add a return man in a later round when we are desperate for special teams help.